Monday, May 25, 2015

Clay Journal Covers

If you have been visiting my blog for some time then you know I like to try new things and this time it is working with polymer clay.  I have been scouting Pinterest and YouTube for months now to learn how to work with clay to make all kinds of interesting things such as journal covers. I first blogged about this back in February and if you look back you can see how far I have come since then.

I like to draw using the Zentangle method and I am always looking for cool paper to make into a Zentangle journal.  When I saw the journal covers by The Mandarin Duck  and The Mandarin Moon, I knew I had to give it a try.

Well here goes, my first two journal covers.....

On this first one, I used black Sculpey III rolled out to 4 x 6 1/4.  I sectioned off an area for sand and an area for sea.  I used PanPastels to colour both areas and then began adding my gems, charms and shells.  I finished off with a little Perfect Pearls for shine and more colour in some areas.


 This second attempt is coloured with Perfect Pearls.  I used a mould for a couple of the shells you see on both covers.


I still have to seal them and glue down to the journals.  I am going to keep one for myself but the others will be available to my Zentangle students for purchase. Let me know if you want one too.

I'll be back when I have more clay journals to share.

NancyD

4 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Wow these are stunning Nancy, I love both but think that the first is my favourite. Can't wait to see what you make next.

Sue xx

brenda said...

A always think it's good to diversify and try new things Nancy and my goodness yo have certainly done a wonderful job here, an amazing creation.

B x

lindagrady said...

Very creative, Nancy; love the look of these journal covers.

coldwaters2 said...

WOW these are awesome Nancy never seen clay journal covers before they look amazing, brilliant work.
hugs
lorraine x